01 February 2007

Underneath The Gun

Thought I'd go for someone new today. By that I mean someone I'd never heard of before. With the gift of myspace I thought I'd just browse around until finding a band who sound half decent. On the one hand I get to listen to something completely new and chat shit about it, on the other it gives me an excuse to not write very much because I've been busy today and not had a lot of time on me hands.


Underneath The Gun are a little confused. On their myspace profile they claim that underneaththegun.com is their website, when clearly it isn't. Not to worry, but it would have been nice to read a little more about them than their profile provides. In particular I wanted to know whether I really am listening to a Christian death metal band or not. Not being the rabid irreligious sacreligious type I couldn't actually give a monkeys about whether they've got faith or not, I'm just interested to know whether I've finally found an example of Christian death metal that isn't fucking shite. And, actually, Wikipedia says I have.

Not much oinking or squealing going on here though. I can make out what he's saying half the time, for crying out loud. Mind you I can make out the words on old Deicide and stuff these days, whereas in 1990-91 I thought it was the most ridiculously impossible to comprehend stuff I'd ever heard (Napalm Death and "lyricless wonders" [© Kerrang] Obituary notwithstanding).

Thankfully the music's pretty easy to get on with. It's death metal but there's quite a bit of thrash about this lot. I did think it was going to be really bad at one point though -- after listening to a song on their record label's myspace page I was impressed enough to see the band's page, but somehow I managed also to open Seraph Impaled's page at the same time. Soon enough a song started up in both windows and it just sounded fucking appalling, until I noticed what I'd done and sorted it. No accidental glorious metal mashup discovery for me.

Underneath The Gun are playing in England in a few months time. In Hull. Guess I won't be seeing them then.

No comments: