03 February 2007

Mumakil

The Swiss, eh? What have they got to complain about? With their great railways and all that cheese and Nazi loot and other shady banking nonsense and army knives and mountains and stuff you'd think they'd be pretty happy. I guess being in a neutral country's a bit of a pisser if you've got some aggression to get out, mind. Maybe that explains why they can produce a band like Mumakil.



I fucking love grindcore. Thing is I honestly didn't know until about 18 months ago that there was a whole grindcore scene, or to be honest more than about 5 bands in the world. Really fucked off I missed Nasum's entire career by not hearing about them until after one of them died :-( but to me grindcore meant early Napalm Death and Brutal Truth and, uh, that was about it. What a rubbish scratch-the-surface-that'll-do fan I was! Well there'll be no more of that, fuck no.

Only came across this mob yesterday. Once again thanks to Terrorizer, on the cover disc, this song gave me goosebumps. It's that good. Looked them up on myspace and their own site and, holy shit, there's oinkage -- but not only oinkage -- there's songs about pigs! Check it out, on their official website you can download a demo from 2005 and there's mp3s called Nailed Pig, Running Pig, Pate, Viande (that's "meat"), how fucking cool is that? Nice and short too. Proper. Superb vocals and amazing riffs. Happy riffs, but never overdone. This lot understand that just because a riff's great there's no need to play it more than 4 or 6 times. I'm so fucking stoked that they're playing in London later this month. Holy fuck! With 9 other bands! A fucking all-dayer, the day after Thus Defiled's bash! What a find. (Yes, I'm thinking of going to Thus Defiled's gig just because there's actually loads of bands on and I want to give 'em a chance live. And it's cheap and there'll probably be a lot of CDs on sale by all kinds of bands)

Oh, fuck, I just realisd I was listening to an mp3 AND the background music from their website at the same time. It sounded fucking great though, heh. Grindcore FOR THE WIN.

No comments: