05 February 2007

Massacre

I'm going OLD SKOOL today. It's not an oink, it's not a squeal, it's a death grunt apparently, and this fella Kam Lee is supposed to have pretty much invented it. He doesn't do vocals, he does "vokills", and on the one album by the one band I've heard of him he's fucking great. I wish I still had my long-sleeved Massacre t-shirt :-(


Time was a band like Massacre could release one album on Earache and get a headline slot at the Astoria. The Astoria! I mean, it wasn't full, but nonetheless... can't remember who supported them but I think I reviewed the gig for the rubbishy student newspaper at 6th form college, heh. Crikey. Anyway, From Beyond is one of my favourite death metal albums of all time. I love the vocals, I love the tunes (Dawn Of Eternity, in particular, is mint) and I love Rick Rozz's inability to play a solo that isn't just him having a load of whammy-bar fun. He made me think, briefly, that perhaps I could do lead guitar after all ;-)

Hmm. The urge to shout SYMBOLIC IMMORTALITY!!!! out at my desk is strong. I must resist. And bloody hell, blow me down with a feather, one of the songs on their myspace profile claims to be a demo recorded in 2006. Does this mean there might be a reunion on the cards? Come on lads, plenty of other bands are getting back together for some filthy lucre, there's no shame in it... get on tour with, I dunno, Sadus? Exhorder?

No comments: