10 February 2007

Gig "review": Brutal Truth, Narcosis, and Total Fucking Destruction

I say gig "review" because this is going to be about as useless as most things I write; yes, I went to see these bands last night, but I was almost entirely unfamiilar with their songs so I won't be giving any decent insights into their set lists or owt like that.

Total Fucking Destruction

Total Fucking Destruction's drummer had the sparsest kit imaginable. 4 cymbals, one snare, one bass drum, that was it. No toms, nowt else. Still made a fucking racket though. Not exactly in-keeping with their name, but noisy and great nonetheless. Being on so early the crowd was still pretty sparse too, but one bloke was doing his best to make himself unpopular by being totally pissed up and running into everyone. Nice one mate. The music though was pretty insane. I guess it was grindcore, but I'm convinced half their songs were covers of stuff. Not really sure tbh. The drummer did most of the singing and stage presence wasn't a strength; they had a shitload of 3 and 5 second songs between which the gap was only long enough for him to tap his sticks together 4 times; and they were fucking great.


Narcosis

Narcosis are MENTAL. Properly so. Their music's the most difficult thing to listen to this side of the avant-jazz nonsense 6music plays on a Sunday evening. It's very stop-start, occasionally a riff'll seep through but they put a stop to it quite soon, most of the time. I bought their CD, "Romance", off the bass player once he made it to the merchandise stall after their set. Had a proper chuckle at the song titles on the way home. They're miserable northern bastards, basically like Fall Out Boy on PCP -- "Ode To A Worthless Fucking Piece Of Shit", "If Being A Cunt Was People, You'd Be China", and "From Your Hate Filled Heart To My Shit Filled Life" are particular favourites. Fucking great stuff, and a fucking great show. How the fuck that bass player can play it all with his fingers rather than a pick is beyond me.


Dan Lilker

Brutal Truth were fucking brutal. 35 or so songs, no encores ("encores are for bands who don't know how to finish a fucking set properly" -- not that that stopped people in the crowd shouting for more. Idiots). Not pure grindcore, but then with Lilker about I think the odd bit of thrash is to be expected. Same drummer as TFD though, he must have been fucked by the end of the night, especially since he had a few more drums to hit in this set. Mosh pit nearly sucked my compadre in but we just about stayed safe. It did get a bit fucking hectic in there though and if I was a bit younger I might have gone in meself. Mosh pits don't seem to have really got more violent through the years. Don't really remember many song titles but one that did stick was "I See Red". Tune.



I've got videos! On youtube (where else?), here we go: Total Fucking Destruction, Narcosis, and Brutal Truth. No, I've no idea what songs are being performed in these clips and no, I don't for one moment make any claim that they're decent sound or video quality.


No comments: