31 January 2007

Thus Defiled

I was going to write a gig review today. Last night I was supposed to see Eternal Lord, Annotations Of An Autopsy, Khalo and Seraph Impaled at the Peel in Kingston. Unfortunately someone seemed to forget to tell any of the bands that they were supposed to be playing. Pitched up at the venue to find pretty much no fucker there, and a distinctly non-metal band rehearsing or summat on the stage. With a bird singing "Take another little piece of my heart, now baby". Yes, a Dusty Springfield song. Not metal. Bastards. I was really looking forward to that 'n all. Fuck knows what happened, the Peel's website still definitely said the gig was on last night. So, now I need to write about a band instead, and considering the metal-related mood that put me in I figure it's an opportunity to slag someone off rather than rave about them. Step forward, then, Thus Defiled.

Thus Defiled came to my attention because they're headlining an all day black/death metal mini-fest in Camden in 3 weeks time and I thought I'd give a bit of a listen to each band on the bill. Now maybe I'm being a bit premature in saying I'm gonna slag them off, but nothing's going to change my opinion of the first song I heard by them. It's their cover of Slayer's Black Magic, and it's just terrible. Really really bad. I hate it with a passion. But perhaps it's not fair of me to just base my opinion on that, so I'll give some other songs a listen while I'm writing this.

Well. "... And They Shall Fear The Night" is OK. Not appalling. I guess my biggest problem, truth be told, is that they're black metal. Not death metal and not grindcore. And in the main I find black metal to be toss. Fucking hell, this song goes on a bit 'n all, 9 minutes for crying out loud. NEXT.

Oh jesus. Black Magic comes on first on their myspace page. It's JUST SO BAD. NEXT.

OK, that's it then. I just don't like them. I'm listening to Astaroth now and there are a bunch of good riffs in there but I just can't get into them. Damn black metal. If they're proper corpsepainted-up live then I'd probably enjoy their show but I'm gonna have to just stop now.

I don't imagine for a moment anyone from the band will ever read this, but just in case, don't take it personally boys. You've got a record coming out and are headlining that fest and things are clearly going well, because a bunch of people clearly do like you. But I don't. And like I said above, I'm supposed to be writing about death metal and grindcore here, not black metal anyway, so just forget everything I said. Especially if, as my flatmate reckons is likely, you happen to run into me in Kingston or at a gig at some point. Ahem. No hard feelings, eh?

No comments: