30 January 2007

Heinous Killings

Tricky to decide who to write about today. Off to a gig tonight so it was tempting to write about one of the bands on the bill, but that can wait until tomorrow. I considered writing about Lividity after spending a while in the pub last night discussing their somewhat unique take on attracting the ladies; I thought I could knock up a bit about Skinless 'cos that's the shirt I'm wearing; and I pondered writing a few paragraphs slagging off Thus Defiled because, frankly, I think they're rubbish. But finally I plumped for a band I'd never heard of 4 days ago. Because yesterday was all about the logo, today has to be about the vocals. Specifically, the most guttural filth since, well, since Cock and Ball Torture at least. Heinous Killings's vocalist makes a fucking inhuman racket. A porcine racket indeed.

This stuff's great. Really fucking good. I've got it on as I type, and there's a bit of a pattern emerging. Each song starts with fairly, shall we say, normal death metal vocals... but as they progress they descend, until a couple of minutes in he pulls out the pig guns. This guy has sty(le). He probably reckons bands who squeal or scream are wankers. He might have a point.

As it goes the music's mint 'n all. Fast. Decent riffs. No solos, which is fine by me. They've got their place but I'm sure I've heard more rubbish solos in death metal than good ones, so leaving 'em out isn't such a bad thing. And I do like bands who have intros containing samples from news stories and stuff, plus I've a bit of a penchant for bands that sing about real murderers. Macabre have always been a fave and Screamin' Daemon aren't bad (although neither band has really impressed me live :-( in fact I thought Macabre were fucking terrible, a real disappointment considering I waited something like 13 years to see them in the UK), so Possessed To Kill is already a favourite. Oh, and as well as on myspace you can listen to it from the page about their album (Hung With Barbwire) on Unmatched Brutality's site 'n all. Proper. In fact, fucking hell, this sounds superb. Best add this to my previously-non-existent list of albums to buy when I'm next in the States, innit.

No comments: