29 January 2007

Crepitation

Oh, Crepitation. Crepitation Crepitation Crepitation. I loved you the first moment I set eyes on you, and by "you" I mean your phenomenal logo. Most bands logos are, well, they're not bad. They're alright. They'll do. But yours, oh my gosh. OH MY GOSH. It was at Skinless's gig in Croydon where I first saw the shirt. The logo so indecipherable one of my companions had to go ask the wearer what band it was. I'd love you even if I were deaf and I bought your shirt before I ever saw you play.







So that's it then. Game over. The fight for "most indecipherable band logo" has been won and there's little point in trying to outdo these bastards. If there's a technique to coming up with logos like this I can only think that it's "get a box of matches and throw them on a table". Or "take a photo of some trees with no leaves on".

When I wore my Crepitation shirt to work I had to have my Yahoo! Messenger status line say "My t-shirt says 'Crepitation'", to fend off the hordes of "What the fuck does that say?" questions.

Damn. I realise I'm being hugely superficial about this mob. How laddish of me to concentrate purely on looks when underneath this beautiful exterior there's a serious bit of scallycore going on too. Only one song on their myspace profile at the moment but it's an oinkfest of the highest order. Live they're not bad either -- saw them in Camden between Christmas and New Year at that Anti-Christmas Grind Ethic bash and they fucking ruled.

As they were setting up I thought we were going to be treated to death metal played by a threesome of short-haired hoodied-up mall warriors, but with a tiny bit of disappointment it turned out the bassist (IIRC) had a ponytail and the vocals were provided by yer actual heavy metal (stereo)types. The good news was there were 2 vocalists though, that's almost always a winning situation. Think 3 Inches Of Blood. Think Extreme Noise Terror. And now, think Crepitation. Mind you they didn't last the whole set, as the last few songs were indeed performed as a 3-piece, and were no lower quality for it. Got to say, on that night Crepitation were the best band whose set I saw in its entirety (had to leave 2 songs into Amputated so I can't honestly say they were definitely the best band of the night).

I would never have been ashamed to sport a shirt with that logo on it, but the fact the music lives up to the graphics is a proper bonus. Simply put, Crepitation appear to have it all. Tunes? Check. Oinking? Check. Indecipherable logo? The best one. Pick-and-mix genre tagging? Check (GARGANTUAN UK SLAM DEATH BRUTALITY!!!). Full marks lads.

No comments: